jump to navigation

Wachowski Brothers Were NOT Offered Superman Reboot February 18, 2009 9:34 pm

Posted by Rosario T. Calabria in Movies, News, Superman.
1 comment so far

supermanreturns-021809That rumor that showed up on AICN last week about the Wachowski brothers being offered to reboot Superman has turned out to be false.  /Film is reporting through two independent sources that the Wachowski brothers have not had any talks with DC or Warner Bros. to helm a Superman film, let alone a new trilogy.

Wachowski Brothers Taking on Superman Reboot? February 11, 2009 8:16 pm

Posted by Rosario T. Calabria in Movies, News, Rumors, Superman.
1 comment so far

supermanreturnssmall-424Check out this very, very interesting rumor.  AICN was sent in a scoop from a reader who had seen an interview with V for Vendetta director James McTeigue on a Berlin telvision station, and the director revealed that the Wachowski brothers’ next project, Plastic Man (of which he was scheduled to do some 2nd-unit shooting) has been put on hold at Warner Bros.

The bigger news, however, has to do with what the scooper has to say about the Superman franchise:

Bryan Singer has refused to undertake a re-boot of the Superman franchise and has left the Executives at WB with no choice but to takea fresh creative direction.

He stated the Wachowski Brothers had been approached to re-boot the franchise as a trilogy and they are currently reviewing their options as its like being asked to take the final play in a superbowl final. Says if they do agree, he will likely either succumb to providing second unit support on the movie or will champion the directorship of Plastic Man – He started to giggle as he stated its like a young child for the Brothers and they wont give that up easily.

WB Hopeful For Many More Years of Batman Films February 5, 2009 5:48 pm

Posted by Rosario T. Calabria in Batman, Movies, News, Sherlock Holmes, Superman, The Dark Knight, Warner Bros.
add a comment

thedarkknightDuring Time Warner’s earnings call yesterday, CEO Jeff Bewkes said that the studio would like to ensure Batman and Superman and perhaps Sherlock Holmes become long-lasting franchises, such as what they have/had with Harry Potter:

“We look at Harry Potter. It’s fantastic to have franchises that last that long. We want to do that with Batman and Superman and perhaps Sherlock Holmes. The sequels are as good, with new characters added, as were the originals. That wasn’t the case in the years ago. Warners has more tentpoles as an on-going strategy taht very much lifts its distribution and performance. We think that’s going to hold up our slate in the 2009 – 2010 period. We’ve got four more big tentpoles coming this year.”

via /Film

Bryan Singer Not Involved in Superman: Man of Steel Talks December 4, 2008 11:31 pm

Posted by Rosario T. Calabria in Movies, News, Superman, Superman Returns, Superman: Man of Steel.
add a comment

supermanreturnssmall-424Superman Returns and Valkyrie (December 25, 2008) director Bryan Singer told UGO Movie Blog that he is NOT involved in any talks in regards to the new Superman film:

Jordan Hoffman (UGO): But there is talk of a new film, though.  Are you officially involved in this talk of the new film?

Bryan Singer: I am not officially involved in the talk, no.

JH: But when talk happens they’ll call you.

BS: Well it’s, you know, I have relationships with Warner Brothers and with the character and, and, and, and it’s just the way things work out.

JH: But you are not divorced from Superman at this point.

BS: No.

JH: All right.

Mark Millar Talks Superman October 29, 2008 2:59 pm

Posted by Rosario T. Calabria in Movies, News, Superman.
add a comment

Shortly before Warner Bros announced their intention to put the Superman Returns sequel on hold and reboot the franchise (click here for related article), comic book writer Mark Millar hinted at the Warner Bros move (read about that here) and revealed that he has a director and producer lined up for the reboot, should WB follow along with him. Now the director is talking a bit more fully about his plan.  Empire Magazine scored an interview with Millar in which he talks about how he wants to create an epic 8-hour screen story that will follow the entire life of Kal-El from his birth on Krypton a thousand years ago, until he is the last being left on Earth.  Here are some excerpts from the interview:

Mark has been working closely with a ‘big-Hollywood action director’ – who he refuses to name at this stage – on a pitch for what he is calling the Magnum Opus of Superman stories. His idea is for an 8-hour saga, split into 3 films to be released a year apart, in a Lord of the Rings fashion. Although several other sources have reported similar conversations with Mark, he went into further detail, fleshing out the story arc a little more.

“It’s gonna be like Michael Corleone in the Godfather films, the entire story from beginning to end, you see where he starts, how he becomes who he becomes, and where that takes him. The Dark Knight showed you can take a comic book property and make a serious film, and I think the studios are ready to listen to bigger ideas now.”

“I want to start on Krypton, a thousand years ago, and end with Superman alone on Planet Earth, the last being left on the planet, as the yellow sun turns red and starts to supernova, and he loses his powers.”

Click here to read the entire interview.

Source: Empire

Mark Millar Talks Possible “Superman” Trilogy September 3, 2008 6:56 pm

Posted by Rosario T. Calabria in Movies, News, Superman.
add a comment

Turns out Mark Millar wasn’t just blowing smoke when he revealed that he had a director and producer in mind for a new Superman project, and revealed that things were happening behind-the-scenes in regards to the Superman Returns sequel Man of Steel (which happened to be true).

In an interview with G4, Millar revealed his plans for a new trilogy of Superman films, which he wants to be shot back-to-back:

“A director approached me about three months ago,” Millar said. “and he said ‘look, [Bryan Singer’s] The Man Of Steel might not be happening. If that doesn’t happen, it has been spoken about the possibility of me coming in, would you like to write it?’ And I was like Yeah.”

“I’ve had this plan for like 10 years for a big three-picture Superman thing, like a big Lord of the Rings epic, starting over from scratch again with a seven-hour Superman story. And hopefully release them one year after another,” continued Millar. “If it works out, we’ll have to start shooting next summer.”

Millar also talked up his upcoming independently financed adaptation of the comic book Kick-Ass, revealing that the film will have a farely hefty $70M budget.  Click here to watch the interview.

WB Puts “Superman” On Hold; Confirms Reboot August 22, 2008 12:35 pm

Posted by Rosario T. Calabria in Batman, Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Movies, News, Superman, Wonder Woman.
3 comments

Just a few days after it was reported that Warner Bros. was debating behind-the-scenes about how they should proceed with the planned Superman Returns sequel Superman: Man of Steel, the Wall Street Journal has an article up with Jeff Robinov, Warner Bros. Pictures Group President, in which he tells the paper that the studio is indeed looking to reintroduce Superman:

Warner Bros. also put on hold plans for another movie starring multiple superheroes — known as “Batman vs. Superman” — after the $215 million “Superman Returns,” which had disappointing box-office returns, didn’t please executives. “‘Superman’ didn’t quite work as a film in the way that we wanted it to,” says Mr. Robinov. “It didn’t position the character the way he needed to be positioned.” “Had ‘Superman’ worked in 2006, we would have had a movie for Christmas of this year or 2009,” he adds. “But now the plan is just to reintroduce Superman without regard to a Batman and Superman movie at all.”

Now I’ve never had a problem with Superman Returns, but I understand Warner’s feelings here.  Then again, this article is a little confusing as I had not realized that Batman vs. Superman was as much a possibility as is led on here.  Here are a few more highlights from the article, including the studio’s future plans with their various DC properties:

“By 2011, Mr. Robinov plans for DC Comics to supply the material for up to two of the six to eight tent-pole films he hopes Warner Bros. will have in the pipeline by then,” the article states.

The studio is set to announce its plans for future DC movies in the next month. For now, though, it is focused on releasing four comic-book films in the next three years, including a third Batman film, a new film reintroducing Superman, and two movies focusing on other DC Comics characters. Movies featuring Green Lantern, Flash, Green Arrow, and Wonder Woman are all in active development.

With “Batman vs. Superman” and “Justice League” stalled, Warner Bros. has quietly adopted Marvel’s model of releasing a single film for each character, and then using those movies and their sequels to build up to a multicharacter film. “Along those lines, we have been developing every DC character that we own,” Mr. Robinov says.

Robinov also noted that he wants the next batch of superhero movies to take a darker more brooding tone, similar to the studio’s recent box office success The Dark Knight.  That includes the Superman franchise.

Source: Wall Street Journal

Mark Millar Has Director & Producer In Mind for “Superman” Revamp July 2, 2008 3:15 pm

Posted by Rosario T. Calabria in News, Superman, Superman: The Man of Steel.
2 comments

Mark Miller (Wanted) has a director and producer in mind for a Superman Returns sequel.  Big problem though, Bryan Singer has already confirmed that he’s going forward with a sequel to the 2006 film (tentatively titled Superman: The Man of Steel).  But that doesn’t bother Millar, who is confident that his new pitch to Warner Bros. will go over well, telling the Daily Record:

“Since I was a kid I’ve always wanted to reinvent Superman for the 21st century, said Miller. “I’ve been planning this my entire life. I’ve got my director and producer set up, and it’ll be 2011. This is how far ahead you have to think. “The Superman brand is toxic after that last movie lost $200 million, but in 2011 we’re hoping to restart it. “Sadly I can’t say who the director is, but we may make it official by Christmas. “But fingers crossed it could work out, that would be my lifetime’s dream.”

That was the only section in the interview discussing Superman.  The rest of the interview discussed his recent Box Office success Wanted.  But Millar has gone ahead and posted an update on his official message boards:

“PS: That Superman news is interesting, isn’t it? In the interests of clarity (because I’m sure this will be picked up somewhere) a very well known American action director heard about my love of Superman, approached my and asked me to team up with he and his producer to make a pitch for this. We’ve been talking for several weeks now and, if this is going to happen, we’ll know by Christmas. He has huge pull at WB so fingers crossed. But this is nothing more than a huge US name pulling me into his fold and making me part of a package.”

Millar is obviously not backing down from his statements, and he appears quite confident that he can change Warner Bros. minds about sticking with Singer for the Superman Returns sequel.

I’m one of those–the few it seems–people who really enjoyed Superman Returns and would love to see Singer’s second shot at the property.  He’s already reassured fans that the second installment will be more action-packed, something the first one was criticized heavily for straying away from, so I don’t see the issue at doing it again.  And secondly, the movie made over $200 million domestically, and over $390 million worldwide, more than Batman Begins I might add.  The problem was that the budget became overbloated, mostly due to prior failed Superman relaunches.  I don’t think its right to blame Singer for everything.  Had Warner Bros. done a better job at keeping the properties budget in line over the years, no one would have mentioned the whole “failed box office” angle.

Brandon Routh on “Man of Steel” and ‘Justice League’ April 24, 2008 4:42 pm

Posted by Rosario T. Calabria in Justice League of America, Man of Steel, Movies, News, Superman.
add a comment

Superman Returns star Brandon Routh, who admits he was never contacted by the studio to be part of the now “tabled” Justice League of America film says that the timing was off to release the film now.  Routh also talked about filming for Man of Steel.  Details after the jump.

(more…)

Bryan Singer Confirms “Superman: Man of Steel” March 12, 2008 7:06 pm

Posted by Rosario T. Calabria in Movies, News, Superman, Superman: Man of Steel.
add a comment

Bryan Singer, director of Superman Returns has confirmed that his proposed sequel (currently titled Superman: Man of Steel) is a go.

(more…)

“Superman Returns” Writers Not Returning for Sequel October 22, 2007 12:26 am

Posted by Rosario T. Calabria in Movies, News, Superman, Superman: Man of Steel.
add a comment

Superman Returns writers Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris have opted not to return to write the sequel to the 2006 summer film.

(more…)

“Superman Returns” Sequel Still A Go, Won’t Be Delayed July 7, 2007 11:30 pm

Posted by Rosario T. Calabria in Movies, News, Superman.
add a comment

The Superman Returns sequel, currently being referred to as Superman: The Man of Steel, has not been delayed. The project was assumed delayed due to possible conflicts in Bryan Singers schedule.

(more…)

Superman Returns Sequel News March 25, 2007 12:22 am

Posted by Rosario T. Calabria in Movies, News, Rumors, Superman.
4 comments

A few rumors are floating around the net in regards to the next Superman film.

(more…)