Earlier today we did a Comic Con special for our regular Sci-Fi TV column, and now comes a super-sized Comic Con Sci-Fi Movies update that is chock full of preview images, trailers, tidbits, and more from movies like Tron Legacy, Thor, The Avengers, Captain America, Cowboys and Aliens, Green Lantern, The Hobbit, Pirates of the Caribbean, and much more.
Tron Legacy trailer #2 released + New photo and Comic-Con panel video
Disney has released the second trailer for Joseph Kosinksi’s “Tron Legacy”. The trailer gives us a closer look at a younger — achieved through digital effects — Jeff Bridges as Clu. The studio also released an official image from the film which is included above. Not at Comic-Con this year? No problem. The panel presentation — sans a bit where they showed about eight minutes of new footage — is available to view online.
Tron Legacy panel – Part 1 [Trailer Addict]
The cast The Avengers, with director Joss Whedon, assembled on stage
One of the biggest events at this year’s convention was the on-stage assembling of the cast of “The Avengers” along with newly announced director Joss Whedon. Here’s the shot of the cast:
From left to right: Robert Downey Jr. (Tony Stark / Iron Man), Agent Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg), Scarlett Johansson (Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow), Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Chris Evans (Steve Rogers / Captain America), Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury), Jeremy Renner (Clint Barton / Hawkeye), Mark Ruffalo (Bruce Banner / The Incredible Hulk), Joss Whedon (Director) and Kevin Feige (Marvel head / Producer)
Those won’t be the only characters we’ll see on screen. Tom Hiddleston, who plays Loki in “Thor”, is hinting that his character will be in the film, telling Cinema Blend “I don’t know if I’m allowed to tell you.” Loki is rumored to be a villain in the film. Hiddleston makes the comment in the interview segment below where he also discusses the complex relationship between Loki and Thor:
Marvel also launched the official site for the film which you can check out here. And here’s the logo:
“The Avengers” is scheduled to hit theaters on May 6, 2012. Here’s a round-up of links for Comic-Con panel observations/discussions: Collider | Variety | Heat Vision | /Film | Hero Complex | MTV Splash Page
First still from Captain America: The First Avenger teaser trailer
The teaser trailer for “Captain America: The First Avenger” was shown during Comic-Con, but Marvel hasn’t made that footage available just yet. However, a still from the teaser has made its way online. It’s low quality, but it gives us our first look at Chris Evans as Captain America. In the meantime, Marvel has launched the official website for the film at CaptainAmerica.Marvel.com. And lastly, Marvel displayed the Captain America shield (which was used in the movie) on the Comic-Con floor. Check it out below.
“Captain America: The First Avenger” is scheduled to hit conventional and 3D theaters on June 22, 2011. Here’s a round-up of some panel impressions/coverage: /Film | Collider | Variety | Hero Complex | MTV Splash Page | Collider | Bleeding Cool
New Thor image + See the Destroyer, the Helmets and the Infinity Gauntlet on the Comic-Con floor
Heading into Comic-Con, Marvel released this new image of Chris Hemsworth wielding the legendary Mjöllnir, or Thor’s hammer, in Kenneth Branagh’s “Thor” (click to see the image in full). During the course of the event, the studio displayed props from the film including the Destroyer suit, the helmets of Odin, Thor and Loki and the Infinity Gauntlet. Check those out below.
“Thor” is scheduled to hit conventional and 3D theaters on May 6, 2011. Check out the official site at Thor.Marvel.com. Here’s a round-up of panel impressions/observations: Collider, (2), (3) | Variety | /Film | Hero Complex | MTV Splash Page | io9
Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig make their Comic-Con debut for Cowboys & Aliens + New photo
Universal Pictures released the first photo from Jon Favreau’s “Cowboys & Aliens”, written by “Star Trek” writers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman along with LOST writer/executive producer Damon Lindelof. The photo features Daniel Craig. “Cowboys & Aliens” co-stars Harrison Ford, Sam Rockwell and Olivia Wilde. The panel marked the Comic-Con debuts of both Craig and Ford [HitFix]:
Ford, who co-stars with Daniel Craig (also a first timer) in the Jon Favreau directed adventure, had previously appeared in a live webcast alongside Shia LaBeouf and Steven Spielberg for “Indiana Jones and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull,” but had never journeyed to San Diego himself. A genre icon because of his roles as Indiana Jones, Han Solo and as the noir detective in “Blade Runner,” Ford received a rapturous standing ovation from the euphoric Comic-Con crowd. He was visibly moved after the salute that almost lasted five minutes.
During the panel, Jon Favreau confirmed that the film would be released in 2D. Favreau said he wanted to shoot in 3D but that would have required him to use digital cameras instead of film which would have altered the look — particularly the lighting — of the movie. He also ruled out 3D post conversion. “Cowboys & Aliens” is scheduled to hit theaters on July 29, 2011. Here are a few panel observations/coverage links: Cinema Blend, (2) | Hero Complex, (2) | HitFix | Collider | /Film
Watch Ryan Reynolds recite the Green Lantern oath + First character posters
During the panel for “Green Lantern”, and as a favor to a young fan, star Ryan Reynolds recited the Green Lantern oath. Check out the video below:
In other news, Warner Brothers has officially made available four character posters. When all four posters are assembled together you get part of the Green Lantern’s oath: “IN BRIGHTEST DAY, IN BLACKEST NIGHT. NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SIGHT.” [Trailer Addict]:
Ryan Reynolds (Hal Jordan / Green Lantern) & Blake Lively (Carol Ferris)
Mark Strong (Sinestro) & Peter Sarsgaard (Hector Hammond)
“Green Lantern” is scheduled to hit conventional and 3D theaters on June 17, 2011. Here’s a round-up of panel coverage/impressions: Cinema Blend | ComingSoon.net, (2) | io9, (2) | MTV Splash Page, (2) | Heat Vision | blastr | Variety | | Collider | Hero Complex
Guillermo del Toro to direct The Haunted Mansion for Disney
Guillermo del Toro made a surprise appearance at the Disney panel to reveal that he will co-write and direct a new film based on the Disney theme parks attraction “The Haunted Mansion”.
“It’s going to be a thrill ride for the whole family but it’s definitely going to be scary,” he said. “(Walt) Disney is one of the creators of some of the scariest images in my childhood. People forget that he not only made sweet images but also images of nightmare. We need to honor that side of the legacy.”
The film will have no connection to the 2003 family film that starred Eddie Murphy. Check out the logo below and here’s a round-up of some Comic-Con panel observations/coverage: /Film | SFX | ComingSoon.net
Jack Sparrow’s Comic-Con announcement for Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
At the close of the “Tron Legacy” panel, Disney had a surprise for the audience in the form of a teaser trailer of sorts for “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides”. The footage features Johnny Depp in character as Captain Jack Sparrow announcing the film to the Comic-Con audience and detailing the basic plot. It was screened in 3D but is available to view in 2D below. Disney also released the official synopsis for the film which you’ll find below along with the official title card. “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides” is scheduled to hit conventional and 3D theaters on May 20, 2011.
Produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and directed by Rob Marshall, “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides” captures the fun, adventure and humor that ignited the hit franchise—this time in Disney Digital 3D™. Johnny Depp returns to his iconic role of Captain Jack Sparrow in an action-packed tale of truth, betrayal, youth and demise. When Jack crosses paths with a woman from his past (Penelope Cruz), he’s not sure if it’s love—or if she’s a ruthless con artist who’s using him to find the fabled Fountain of Youth. When she forces him aboard the Queen Anne’s Revenge, the ship of the formidable pirate Blackbeard (Ian McShane), Jack finds himself on an unexpected adventure in which he doesn’t know who to fear more: Blackbeard or the woman from his past.
The international cast includes franchise vets Geoffrey Rush as the vengeful Captain Hector Barbossa, and Kevin R. McNally as Captain Jack’s longtime comrade Joshamee Gibbs, plus Sam Claflin as a stalwart missionary and Astrid Berges-Frisbey as a mysterious mermaid. In theaters Memorial Day weekend, 2011.
Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) finds himself on an unexpected journey to the fabled Fountain of Youth when a woman from his past (Penelope Cruz) forces him aboard the Queen Anne’s Revenge, the ship of the formidable pirate Blackbeard (Ian McShane).
Jack Sparrow’s Comic-Con announcement [YouTube]
New images from Battle: Los Angeles
Sony released a batch of three new images from their upcoming alien invasion film “Battle: Los Angeles”. The film stars Aaron Eckhart, Michelle Rodriguez and Bridget Moynahan and is scheduled for release on March 25, 2011.
Sucker Punch: Trailer + Character posters
Warner Brothers has released the teaser trailer for the Zack Snyder-directed “Sucker Punch” Check it out below.
Babydoll (Emily Browning) & Sweat Pea (Abbie Cornish)
Rocket (Jena Malone) & Blondie (Vanessa Hudgens)
Madam Gorski (Carla Gugino) & Amber (Jamie Chung)
Marvel planning another Punisher movie
After three unsuccessful attempts including most recently the 2008 flop “Punisher: War Zone”, Marvel has announced that they’re developing a new “Punisher” movie. This time the film will be produced under the Marvel Studios banner. The announcement was made during Marvel’s Comic-Con panel by company head Kevin Feige [Cinema Blend]:
Feige says that the character is under the welcoming roof of Marvel Studios now and they want to take their own shot at it. Specifically he said he’s hoping for a “Frank Castle” movie shortly, using the real name for Punisher’s vigilante character.
Predators will get a sequel; Rodriguez returning to produce
Despite a disappointing 2nd weekend decline of more than 70%, Robert Rodriguez will get to make another “Predator” movie. Bleeding Cool is reporting that 20th Century Fox is moving forward with a sequel with Rodriguez back as a producer. It hasn’t been announced if “Predators” director Nimod Antal will return for the sequel. “Predators” currently sits at $46.8 million domestically (#3 in the series) and $95.0M worldwide (#4) through three weekends in release. On the plus side, the film was produced on a relatively modest budget of $40 million.
Comic-Con Movie Bites
- Previously on TrekMovie.com: J.J. Abrams will begin shooting “Super 8″ this September in 2D only. Full VIDEO of JJ Abrams/Joss Whedon SDCC Visionaries Panel
- Previously on TrekMovie.com: Karl Urban On Star Trek Sequel + Confirms Judge Dredd Talks + First Look At Urban As ‘Priest’ Vampire
- Book publisher Markosia has announced that the graphic novel “From The Pages Of Bram Stoker’s ‘Dracula’: Harker” has been optioned by Canadian independent filmmaker and producer Alexander Galant. The deal was for a “substantial five-figure sum”. [Bleeding Cool]
- “Underworld” creator Len Wiseman confirmed that his wife Kate Beckinsale, who starred in the first two movies, will return for “Underworld 4″: “Yes. That’s the plan. We’re both waiting to see what kind of story comes together. It’s just getting the script to a certain place where we’re both happy with it.” [IGN]
- During The One Ring.net fan-panel at Comic-Con it was reported that Peter Jackson has definitively ruled out shooting “The Hobbit” in 3D. Note that this wasn’t a direct quote, however. [NYTimes]
- Adam McKay has confirmed that he will direct an adaptation of the Garth Ennis comic “The Boys”. [Heat Vision]
- Michael Parks has been cast in Kevin Smith’s horror project “Red State”. Parks will play Fred Phelps, founder of the Westboro Babtist Church. [Cinema Blend]
- Sony has launched the official website for “Resident Evil: Afterlife”. Check it out at here…
- …More “Resident Evil: Afterlife” can be found at the following links: Cinema Blend | Collider | Hero Complex | blastr
- “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows”: Cinema Blend | ComingSoon.net | io9 | Collider | Hero Complex, (2)
- “Priest”: MTV Splash Page, (2) | ComingSoon.net | Heat Vision | /Film
- “Drive Angry”: ComingSoon.net | Collider | Heat Vision | Hero Complex | /Film | io9
- “Piranha 3D”: blastr | ComingSoon.net
- “Let Me In”: Cinema Blend | Collider | ComingSoon.net | Hero Complex | /Film | io9
- “Super”: ComingSoon.net | Collider | Hero Complex | /Film
- “Skyline”: Collider | /Film | Heat Vision | io9 | Hero Complex | Variety
- “Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark”: ComingSoon.net, (2) | Collider | /Film | blastr
- “Machete”: Collider | Hero Complex
- “The Green Hornet”: ComingSoon.net | Hero Complex | MTV Splash Page | io9 | /Film | Cinema Blend
- “The Goon”: Collider | Cinema Blend | /Film
- “Megamind”: Collider, (2) | ComingSoon.net | Hero Complex | io9
- “Red”: Collider | ComingSoon.net | io9 | Hero Complex
- “Paul”: Collider, (2) | Cinema Blend | io9 | Variety | /Film
- “Saw VII 3D” will be the final chapter in the long-running franchise: “It’s time to stop,” says Oren Koules, a producer on all the Saw movies. “We have told the story we wanted to tell, and this is going to be a great farewell.” Check out two images and watch the teaser trailer below and read impressions on the 8 minutes of footage screened at ComingSoon.net. [USA Today]
Teaser trailer [IGN]
PREVIEW Videos & Images
Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark
Promotional stills [more at YourEntNow]
Teaser trailer [Trailer Addict]
Let Me In
Two new posters [Cinema Blend]
Comic-Con footage [Yahoo! Movies]
Priest (featuring Karl Urban)
Comic-con trailer [Trailer Addict]
Red (also featuring Karl Urban)
Promotional stills [more at YourEntNow]
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
New clip [IGN]
Follow me on Twitter at Twitter.com/YourEntNow.