|Network||HH Rating/Share||Viewers||A18-49 Rating/Share|
Even with an entire night of repeats, CBS still managed to win the night among households and viewers. The network also had the nights #1 and #2 most-watched programs: repeats of Two and a Half Men (9.66M / 2.6 A18-49 rating) and The Big Bang Theory (9.05M / 2.7 A18-49 rating).
ABC took first place for the evening in A18-49 rating, thanks mainly to The Bachelorette which was up slightly from the week prior. Rounding out the rest of the night was FOX in third place anchored by returning drama Lie to Me which saw a double-digit decline from its last original episode. Also airing on FOX was episode two of the freshman drama The Good Guys which didn’t gain much traction in its new time slot.
NBC meanwhile, took a disappointing fourth place with the seventh season premiere of Last Comic Standing and the series premiere of Persons Unknown. Last Comic Standing was down by double-digits from its year-ago season premiere for a franchise low opening. Persons Unknown was basically unknown to audiences, debuting with a very weak 1.4 A18-49 rating.
Complete ratings and breakdown’s, including week-to-week comparisons, etc., follows after the jump.
CBS finished in first place for the evening with a 4.9/8 household rating/share and 7.62 million viewers, but was second among adults 18-49 with a 2.0/6 rating/share.
4.9/8 HH rating/share [#1]
7.74M viewers [#1]
2.1/6 A18-49 rating/share [#3]
- Despite an all repeat line-up, CBS easily carried the night among households and viewers and was a solid second among adults 18-49. The network was buoyed to the top courtesy its strong 9:00-10:00 block (Two and a Half Men and The Big Bang Theory). The two shows were #1 and #2, respectively, on the night across the board.
- 8:00 p.m.: How I Met Your Mother-REPEAT (3.5/6 HH rating/share, 5.38M viewers, 1.6/6 A18-49 rating/share).
- 8:30 p.m.: Rules of Engagement-REPEAT (3.5/6 HH rating/share, 5.54M viewers, 1.6/5 A18-49 rating/share).
- 9:00 p.m.: Two and a Half Men-REPEAT (6.1/10 HH rating/share, 9.66M viewers, 2.6/8 A18-49 rating/share).
- 9:30 p.m.: The Big Bang Theory-REPEAT (5.8/9 HH rating/share, 9.05M viewers, 2.7/7 A18-49 rating/share).
- 10:00 (10:01) p.m.: CSI: Miami-REPEAT (5.3/9 HH rating/share, 8.04M viewers, 1.9/6 A18-49 rating/share.
ABC followed in second place for the evening with a 4.5/8 household rating/share and 6.91 million viewers, but managed a first place finish among adults 18-49 with a 2.3/7 rating/share.
4.5/8 HH rating/share [#2]
6.86M viewers [#2]
2.3/7 A18-49 rating/share [#2]
- 8:00 p.m.: The Bachelorette (5.1/9 HH rating/share, 7.89M viewers, 2.5/8 A18-49 rating/share) was the night’s most-watched original program. The series was up a few percent from the week prior in households (+4%) and viewers (+3%/+0.25M) and flat in A18-49 rating (#3 for the night).
Week-to-week numbers (8:00-10:02):
Households – 4.9/8 to 5.1/9 (+4%)
Viewers – 7.64M to 7.89M (+3%/+0.25M)
Adults 18-49 – 2.5/7 to 2.5/8 (n/c)
- 10:00 (10:02) p.m.: True Beauty (3.2/6 HH rating/share, 4.97M viewers, 1.9/5 A18-49 rating/share). It’s unlikely True Beauty would be able to garner much of an audience if it was airing by itself, but with a strong lead-in, the show is able to turn in somewhat respectable numbers (despite weak retention levels), at least in terms of A18-49 rating where it drew a 1.9 rating. That was down just 5% or one-tenth of a point from the week prior (although it’s possible it could drop another tenth or so due to the two-minute ‘Bachelorette’ overrun).
Week-to-week numbers (10:02-11:00):
Households – 3.5/6 to 3.2/6 (-9%)
Viewers – 5.25M to 4.97M (-5%/-0.28M)
Adults 18-49 – 2.0/6 to 1.9/5 (-5%)
FOX finished in third place for the evening with a 3.4/6 household rating/share and 5.31 million viewers, but was fourth among adults 18-49 with a 1.6/5 rating/share.
2.0/3 HH rating/share [#4]
3.12M viewers [#4]
0.9/3 A18-49 rating/share [#4]
- 8:00 p.m.: Lie to Me (3.9/7 HH rating/share, 5.98M viewers, 1.9/6 A18-49 rating/share). Although it’s true that Lie to Me took a significant hit from its last original airing — -10%/-0.66M among viewers and -14% in A18-49 rating — it should also be noted that its been six months since that last episode. All things considered, if the show can remain at around this level for its remaining episodes this summer, FOX should be pleased. If it declines further it’ll be considered a disappointment.
Week-to-week numbers (12/14/2009 – 9:01-10:00):
Households – 4.0/6 to 3.9/7 (-2.5%)
Viewers – 6.64M to 5.98M (-10%/-0.66M)
Adults 18-49 – 2.2/6 to 1.9/6 (-14%)
- 9:00 p.m.: The Good Guys (2.9/5 HH rating/share, 4.64M viewers, 1.4/4 A18-49 rating/share) had a very weak debut last month and time didn’t improve anything. The show was off 6% in viewers (-0.29M) and 7% in A18-49 rating (to a poor 1.4 rating). It’s not likely we’ll see any more of this show past Fox’s initial episode order unless there is some sort of significant upswing in its ratings (particularly among A18-49).
Week-to-week numbers (WED; 5/19/2010 – series premiere/preview – 8:00-9:00):
Households – 3.2/6 to 2.9/5 (-9%)
Viewers – 4.93M to 4.64M (-6%/-0.29M)
Adults 18-49 – 1.5/5 to 1.4/4 (-7%)
NBC followed in fourth place for the evening with a 3.1/5 household rating/share and 4.75 million viewers, but managed a third place finish among adults 18-49 with a 1.8/5 rating/share.
3.3/6 HH rating [#3]
5.91M viewers [#3]
2.4/7 A18-49 rating [#1]
- 8:00 p.m.: The seventh season premiere of Last Comic Standing (3.2/5 HH rating/share, 4.98M viewers, 2.0/6 A18-49 rating/share). Down a steep 15% among viewers (-0.88M) and 17% in A18-49 rating, this marks a new low for an opening episode of Last Comic Standing. With the exception of the fourth season (which aired after NBC’s two-cycle season two/season three back in 2004–highlighted by the asterisk), the series has declined in households, viewers and A18-49 rating every premiere since its series premiere (9.7M, 9.1M, 7.8M, 8.6M*, 6.9M, 5.9M, 5.0M).
Season premiere comparison (THUR; 5/22/2008 – sixth season premiere – 9:30-11:00):
Households – 3.7/6 to 3.2/5 (-13.5%)
Viewers – 5.86M to 4.98M (-15%/-0.88M)
Adults 18-49 – 2.4/6 to 2.0/6 (-17%)
- 10:00 p.m.: The series premiere of Persons Unknown (2.9/5 HH rating/share, 4.29M viewers, 1.4/4 A18-49 rating/share) also got off to a poor start. Fourth in the timeslot among households and viewers and tied for fourth among A18-49, Persons Unknown also had a poor retention level from its lead-in in the key A18-49 demographic (70%).
Last week’s numbers (NHL Stanley Cup Finals: Game 2 – 8:00-11:01):
Households – 3.3/6
Viewers – 5.89M
Adults 18-49 – 2.5/7
The CW finished in fifth place for the evening with a 0.5/1 household rating/share, 0.73 million viewers and a 0.3/1 rating/share among adults 18-49.
0.5/1 HH rating [#5]
0.61M viewers [#5]
0.2/1 A18-49 rating [#5]
- 8:00 p.m.: One Tree Hill-REPEAT (0.6/1 HH rating/share, 877,000 viewers, 0.3/1 A18-49 rating/share).
- 9:00 p.m.: Gossip Girl-REPEAT (0.4/1 HH rating/share, 579,000 viewers, 0.3/1 A18-49 rating/share).
Notes: Network average numbers from the week prior are based on preliminary data. Comparison’s from the week prior (or episode-to-episode, etc.) on specific shows are based on final national data. Ratings for the current day are based on preliminary data. (Expect all three scenarios to be the case at all times, unless otherwise noted). The final numbers for first-run episodes that aired this evening will be reported the following week. So for example, the final numbers for tonight’s episode of “The Bachelorette” will be reported in next weeks report for Monday, June 14, 2010. Also keep in mind that because these are preliminary numbers, when the finals are released there may be noticeable changes.
And lastly, there may be some errors in the data due to rounding/human error. I’ll do my best to limit those mistakes and correct them in time for the next week’s report.
Source: The Nielsen Company | Ratings information on this page consists of Preliminary and/or Final National numbers which include both Live viewing and DVR playback for the Same Day (defined as Live + Same Day or 3am-3am viewing). | Daily ratings figures can be found at PI Feedback, Zap2It and TV by the Numbers.