Director Jon Favreau and producer Kevin Feige were joined on stage by stars Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson and Don Cheadle. Here are some highlights from the panel. [All impressions courtesy sourced site(s)]:
- They screened footage that included our first look at War Machine.–read a complete summary of the footage at /Film.
- …Basically, it blew everyone away. Already looks better than the first film. [SCI FI Wire]
- ComingSoon.net has audio interviews with director Jon Favreau, producer Kevin Feige, Robert Downey Jr. and Scarlett Johansson, Sam Rockwell and Don Cheadle. SCI FI Wire has an article up on the interview roundtables as well.
- io9 interviewed Robert Downey Jr. Here are a few excerpts:
io9: How has Tony changed since Iron Man 1?
RDJ: That’s the question I think he’s asking himself. I think that it brings up a lot of internal conflict. Because he was thought of as this kind of charming prick. Then he was almost killed and then he exerts his own escape, kind of heroic but really on his own behalf. I think that there’s probably a bit of an impostor complex as soon as he said, “I am Iron Man,” he was wondering what that really means. If you have all this cushion, like he does, and the public is on your side, and you have immense wealth and power, I think he’s way too insulated to be okay. And I think the footage has tipped [off] that he’s struggling with some sort of contamination of his own system, and he has a very formidable guy saying, “I don’t care what everyone thinks of you, I know that you come form a family of murderers and thieves. And I’m going to take you out of your misery.” And maybe he almost half wants that to happen.
- Favreau on the challenges of making a second film: “We wanted to make sure we got something together as a thank-you to all of you, and you’re the people we wanted to show this stuff to first,” Favreau said. “We wanted to add characters, but not too many. To maintain the same tone and dynamic between the characters that you love while adding people that would further move us towards the eventual Avengers film that’s coming.”
- Asked about whether he’ll direct The Avengers, says he’s concentrated on finishing up post-production on this movie.
Iron Man 2 hits theaters on May 7, 2010.