The first 15 minutes of ABC’s upcoming sci-fi series FlashForward was screened for those in attendance at Comic-Con (you get get full summaries of what was shown at io9 and /Film). Here is the synopsis:
When an unexplained, cataclysmic event knocks out the entire population of the world at the exact same moment, for two minutes and 17 seconds, everyone glimpses their own future. Then they wake up to chaos. From his fash forward, LA FBI Agent MARK BENFORD is desperate to stop what’s coming – because it’s a future he doesn’t want to see. Before long, everyone starts asking themselves and each other, “What did you see?” As Mark and his team struggle to fgure out what caused this bizarre event, the only thing they have to go on is a huge mosaic of people’s flash forwards.
And with that out of the way, here are some highlights from the panel [All impressions courtesy sourced site(s)]:
- Co-creator David S. Goyer again reiterated that the series has a master plan, saying that they knew how it would end before they started writing.
- The show will be loosely based on Robert J. Sawyer’s novel.
- Goyer said that one change was the timeline. In the novel the flash forward takes place 21 years in the future. That would obviously be incredibly difficult to film, so the TV show shrinks that timeline down to six months.
- Sawyer is okay with the changes and actually serves as the show’s “unofficial science adviser” and will even be writing an episode for the first season. [io9]
- The six-month point in the series is April 29th, and the season one finale will air April 29th 2010 (although part two will likely air April 30th).
- All the episodes will feature flash forwards and the first three will take place in different countries.
- While Lost was a major inspiration for the way the show has been crafted, Goyer promises FlashForward won’t be full of unanswered questions: “Goyer described the pitch-meeting for the show at ABC, where in a post-Lost world, the executives said, ‘This is a cool script but do you have ANY idea where it goes.’ Goyer said he told them and they said ‘Holy shit, they actually do.'” [/Film]
FlashForward premieres Thursday, September 24th at 8:00pm on ABC.