Here’s a round up of the latest casting related news for television and film.
- Amanda Seyfried won’t be able to take on the lead role in Zack Snyder’s Sucker Punch because HBO won’t release her from her contract on Big Love. Snyder’s film begins shooting this fall, which would conflict with scheduled shooting on the fourth season of Big Love. [EW]
- Actors Chaske Spencer, Bronson Pelletier, Alex Meraz, Kiowa Gordon and Tyson Houseman have all signed on to star as members of the wolf pack in Summit Entertainment’s The Twilight Saga: New Moon. [STYD]
- Anne Hathaway has signed on to star as Judy Garland in the film and stage adaptations of Gerald Clarke’s biography Get Happy: The Life of Judy Garland. [Weinstein Co.]
- Giovanni Ribisi has joined the cast of Hunter S. Thompson’s adaptation of The Rum Diary from Warner Independent. Ribisi will play a carousing journalist in the film, which stars Johnny Depp. [Variety]
- Amanda Bynes has landed the starring role in the ABC pilot Canned. The actress will play Sarabeth, a naive Midwesterner who’s being exploited by her boss – and doesn’t realize it. [Variety]
- Tom Selleck, Catherine O’Hara and Martin Mull have all joined the cast of Five Killers, a Lionsgate action comedy that also stars Ashton Kutcher (as a retiring hitman) and Katherine Heigl (his computer tech girlfriend). Selleck and O’Hara are playing Heigl’s overprotective father and doring mother, while Mull is playing Holbrook, Kutcher’s handler. Robert Luketic is directing the film which is scheduled for release on June 4, 2010 release. [THR]
More casting bites after the jump.
- Peter Krause and Maura Tierney are heading back to primetime with starring roles on NBC’s pilot Parenthood. Krause will play Adam Braverman, a married man with two children who is a lunatic beneath the surface, and Tierney will play his sister, Sarah. Craig T. Nelson and Dax Shepard are in negotiations, while Mae Whitman and Sarah Ramos are set to co-star in the pilot. [THR]
- Jacqueline Bisset is set to stars as a lead in CBS’s drama pilot The Eastman’s. Eastmans is about a dysfunctional family of doctors. Bisset will play the mother, an ermegency-room nurse. [THR]
- Steve Howey has landed the male lead in NBC’s comedy pilot State of Romance, which is described as a modern day Pride and Prejudice. Zoe Lister Jones and Grace Rex have also been cast in leading roles. Rex will play Emily’s (played by Lindsey Broad) best friend Regina, while Jones will play Regina’s sister. [THR]
- Andrea Parker has landed a lead role in ABC’s comedy pilot This Little Piggy, a series about two adults siblings who move in with their eldest brother and his wife. [THR]
- And finally, ABC’s pilot of V, the network’s re-imagining of the 1980’s miniseries about an invasion of aliens known as Visitors, has added Lourdes Benedicto to the cast. Benedicto will play a love interest for Erica’s (Elizabeth Mitchell) boyfriend (played by Morris Chestnut). [THR]