Comic-Con 2008: Fox’s “Dollhouse” Panel
At the panel for Fox’s Dollhouse, Joss Whedon, Eliza Dushku and Tahmoh Penikett were in attendance. Here are some highlights courtesy TV Squad and ComingSoon.net:
- Joss moderated the panel.
- It was revealed that Paul Smith (Tahmoh Penikett) will have a difficult time tracking down Echo (Dushku) in the show, as every time he gets closer, she’s someonen else.
- Joss was asked about what he thought about Save our Show campaigns already being started before the series has even aired: Joss said that while he appreciated the fandom, he was afraid of the message it might send to the general public, and he didn’t want Dollhouse to be perceived as a show that is already in trouble and appeals only to a niche audience.
- Eliza says she’s thrilled to be working with Joss again and called him her “career brazier”.
- Joss said he likes to think of Dollhouse as having the feel of the movie Collaterai in the way the city is protrayed.
- Asked about the re-vamped pilot, Joss said reaffirmed that it was his idea and that it will give the “real” first episode more resonance. He said there’s no reason to worry and that another fiasco like Firefly (where episodes were broadcast out of order) is not going to happen.
- The new pilot is aimed at better setting up some of the back story to the Dollhouse organization as well as its cast of characters.
- 13 episodes have been greenlit, and there are plans to have them accompanied by webisodes.