CBS passes ABC in Households and Viewers, but ABC takes the A18-49 win. SNF loses viewers, as does The CW’s new Sunday night line-up.
CBS finished first for the evening with a 9.4/15 HH rating (14.5M viewers) and second in A18-49, delivering a 4.2/11 rating in that demo.
- For the first time this season, CBS finished in first place in Households and Viewers. ABC still has the win in A18-49.
- The lineup improved or stayed pretty much even from the week prior:
- “60 Minutes” – 16.8M viewers, 4.5/13 A18-49 rating
- “The Amazing Race” – 11.8M viewers, 3.8/9 A18-49 rating
- “Cold Case” – 14.0M viewers, 4.0/9 A18-49 rating
- “Without A Trace” – 14.5M viewers, 4.4/11 A18-49 rating
ABC followed in second place with an 8.9/14 HH rating (14.0M viewers), and first in A18-49, delivering a 5.4/13 rating in that demo.
- Mostly due to the loss in viewership from the previous year because of the time-period change of “Grey’s Anatomy”, ABC is no longer #1 on the evening in households and viewers.
- “America’s Funniest Home Videos” (9.6M viewers, 3.1/9) and”Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” (14.3M viewers, 5.5/13) began the evening for the network, with both shows improving upon their numbers from the preceding week.
- “Desperate Housewives” (20.0M viewers) was down some from last week (20.8M viewers), but that was still enough for a win on the evening in all categories including A18-49 (8.0/18) where the competition isn’t even close.
- “Brothers and Sisters” (12.0M viewers, 4.9/12 A18-49 rating) was also down some from last week (13.1M viewers, 5.3/14). Though those numbers are respectable, they are no where near what Grey’s Anatomy posted in the comparable frame last season:
- 18.3M viewers, 8.3/20 A18-49 rating.
NBC finished in third place with a 6.3/10 HH rating (9.4M viewers), and a 3.8/10 A18-49 rating.
- Perhaps due to the weak pairing that was chosen for the game (Broncos/Raiders), “Sunday Night Football” is expected to post the seasons lowest rating with 11.0M viewers and a 4.7/11 A18-49 rating.
FOX followed in fourth for the evening delivering a 5.0/8 HH rating (7.4M viewers) and a 2.1/5 A18-49 rating.
- “MLB Baseball” averaged about 9.0M viewers and a 2.7 A18-49 rating, an increase of about 2M viewers from the week before.
The CW finished in fifth for the evening delivering a 1.5/2 HH rating (2.3M viewers) and a 0.9/2 A18-49 rating.
- The decision to move the networks Monday night drama lineup to Sunday evening didn’t do much to improve ratings.
- “7th Heaven”, at 8:00 PM, delivered about 3.1M viewers and a 1.1/3 A18-49 rating, down roughly 25% from its last new airing on Monday.
- “Runaway”, at 9:00 PM, drew about 1.8M viewers and a 0.7/2 A18-49 rating. This isn’t much of a change from the most recent new airing of this series, but when you’re already this low, staying consistent isn’t good enough.
Source: Fast National Numbers from Nielsen Media Research
Note: Because of the live nature of the football game on NBC and the Baseball game on FOX, ratings for those programs are much less accurate and will change when finals are released. Also, because of the late-ending football games on CBS, ratings on the evening for that network may change substantially as well.
The ratings for all the programs that aired last night are viewable below in chart form (click to enlarge):